Ah yes, dolmades, one of my favourite dishes since I was a small Llama. Makes me wonder how old I was when I first tried them. This recipe is one my mum and yiayia use, (LLAMA SECRET: I’m not a big fan of meat in my dolmades, but shh don’t tell yiayia) What makes these even better is when you put them in the oven with yemista, they become nice and crispy, and super oily! YUM!
- ¼ cup olive oil
- Half onion chopped finely
- 500 grams minced beef, lamb, or chicken
- 1 cup medium grain rice
- 50 Vine leaves (fresh or jarred)
- 1 tlbs tomato paste diluted in half a cup of water
- ¼ cup parsley chopped finely
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp all spice
- ½ tsp pepper
- ½ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp five spice
- ½ tsp sweet paprika
- If you have jarred vine leaves, rinse them in cold water and remove the stems, fresh leaves should be rinsed thoroughly. Place in hot boiled water for 1 minute, or until they change colour and drain thoroughly.
- Add ingredients together in a bowl and mix well.
- Place small amount of mixture on the leaf and roll, and place in pot. (Add a little more olive oil on top if desired)
- When you’re finished put a plate on top of the dolmades. Fill the pot with water, don’t fill up over the plate.
- Bring to boil, lower heat down and simmer gently for 40 minutes.
- Serve with tzatziki (garlic sauce) if desired.